Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) is an undergraduate degree program in dentistry that prepares students to become licensed dentists. With a BDS degree, students can gain valuable skills and knowledge to provide dental care and improve oral health in their communities.
- BDS stands for Bachelor of Dental Surgery.
- It is an undergraduate degree program in dentistry.
- The BDS program typically takes four to five years to complete.
- It covers subjects such as anatomy, physiology, dental materials, and oral pathology.
- Graduates of the BDS program can pursue careers in private practice, academia, research, and public health.
- BDS degree provides valuable skills and knowledge to provide dental care and improve oral health in communities.
Highlights of the BDS Course
|Course Name||BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery)|
|Course Duration||4-5 years (depending on the university)|
|Eligibility||10+2 or equivalent with science subjects (Physics, Chemistry, Biology)|
|Admission Process||Entrance exams or direct admission based on merit|
|Course Fee||Varies from INR 2-15 lakhs per year depending on the university|
|Course Curriculum||Anatomy, Physiology, Dental Materials, Oral Pathology, Dental Radiology, Prosthodontics, Endodontics, Periodontics, Pedodontics, Orthodontics, and Oral Surgery|
|Career Options||Private Practice, Academia, Research, Public Health, Dental Public Health, Forensic Odontology, and more.|
Note: The table is just an example and the course details may vary depending on the university/college.
Why to choose study BDS
- BDS is a highly sought-after undergraduate degree program in dentistry, offering excellent career prospects in the healthcare industry.
- Pursuing BDS can lead to various career options such as private practice, research, academia, public health, and more, with a high earning potential.
- The BDS program is designed to develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills, which are highly valued in the healthcare sector.
- Studying BDS can provide you with job security, as the demand for dental professionals is always high, making it a recession-proof profession.
- BDS graduates can specialize in various areas of dentistry, such as orthodontics, endodontics, periodontics, and more, which can further enhance their career opportunities and earning potential.
Top BDS colleges
|College Name||Location||NIRF Rank||Entrance Exams Accepted|
|Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences (MAIDS)||New Delhi||3||NEET MDS|
|Manipal College of Dental Sciences (MCODS)||Manipal||5||NEET UG, NEET MDS|
|Government Dental College and Hospital||Mumbai||7||NEET MDS|
|Nair Hospital Dental College (NHDC)||Mumbai||9||NEET MDS|
|Dr. D. Y. Patil Vidyapeeth (DPU)||Pune||10||NEET MDS, AIIMS PG|
|Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences (MAIDS)||New Delhi||13||NEET MDS|
|Government Dental College and Hospital||Ahmedabad||16||NEET MDS, GUJCET|
|Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research||Chennai||21||NEET UG, NEET MDS|
|Punjab Government Dental College and Hospital||Amritsar||24||NEET MDS|
|Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals||Chennai||25||NEET UG, NEET MDS, AIIMS PG|
Admission Process for BDS Courses
- The admission process for BDS typically involves entrance exams or direct admission based on merit.
- Candidates need to meet the eligibility criteria, which includes passing 10+2 or equivalent with science subjects (Physics, Chemistry, Biology).
- The most common entrance exams for BDS in India are NEET UG and NEET MDS, which are conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA).
- Other exams accepted by some dental colleges include AIIMS PG, GUJCET, and state-level entrance exams.
- Candidates need to apply for the entrance exams and appear for them on the scheduled date.
- After the results are declared, counseling sessions are held based on the rank obtained in the entrance exams, and candidates can choose their preferred college and course.
- Some dental colleges also offer direct admission based on merit, which means that candidates who meet the eligibility criteria can apply for admission without appearing for any entrance exam.
Eligibility Criteria for BDS Courses
- Candidates must have completed 10+2 or equivalent with Science subjects (Physics, Chemistry, Biology) from a recognized board.
- The minimum percentage required in the qualifying examination may vary depending on the college and category of the candidate.
- Candidates must have attained the minimum age of 17 years on or before 31st December of the year of admission.
- For foreign candidates, the eligibility criteria may vary depending on the country and the college.
- It is essential to check the eligibility criteria of dental colleges before applying for admission.
The entrance exam for BDS
- NEET UG: National Eligibility cum Entrance Test for Undergraduate courses is a national-level entrance exam conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) for admission to BDS and MBBS courses in India.
- AIIMS PG: All India Institute of Medical Sciences conducts a national-level entrance exam for admission to postgraduate courses, including MDS, in AIIMS and affiliated institutions.
- NEET MDS: National Eligibility cum Entrance Test for Master of Dental Surgery is a national-level entrance exam conducted by the National Board of Examination (NBE) for admission to MDS courses in India.
- JIPMER PG: Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research conducts a national-level entrance exam for admission to postgraduate courses, including MDS, in JIPMER and affiliated institutions.
- AIPGDEE: All India Post Graduate Dental Entrance Exam is a national-level entrance exam conducted by the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) for admission to postgraduate dental courses in India.
How to Get Admission to A Top BDS College?
- Research the colleges: Research various BDS colleges to identify the best ones based on the curriculum, faculty, infrastructure, placements, and accreditation.
- Meet the eligibility criteria: Ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria for the BDS program of your preferred college.
- Prepare for entrance exams: Prepare thoroughly for the entrance exams such as NEET UG, NEET MDS, AIIMS PG, etc. and score well to increase your chances of admission.
- Obtain good grades: Ensure that you have good grades in your 10+2 or equivalent examination to strengthen your application.
- Gain practical experience: Gain practical experience by volunteering or interning at dental clinics, hospitals, or NGOs. This will not only boost your application but also help you gain a deeper understanding of the field.
- Apply early: Apply as early as possible to avoid missing out on the deadlines.
- Attend counseling sessions: Attend counseling sessions and choose the best college and course based on your rank and preference.
- Stay updated: Stay updated with the latest information on admission procedures and keep track of the deadlines for application, entrance exams, and counseling.
Syllabus for BDS Course
|First Year||- General Human Anatomy, Embryology, and Histology
- General Human Physiology and Biochemistry
- Dental Anatomy, Embryology, and Oral Histology
- Introduction to Dentistry and Dental Materials
- General Pathology and Microbiology
- Social and Preventive Dentistry
|Second Year||- Pharmacology and Dental Therapeutics
- General Medicine and Surgery
- Oral Pathology and Microbiology
- Oral Diagnosis and Radiology
- Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry
- Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
|Third Year||- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Prosthodontics and Crown and Bridge
- Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics
- Periodontology and Oral Implantology
- Public Health Dentistry and Community Dentistry
|Fourth Year||- Oral Medicine and Radiology
- Geriatric and Special Needs Dentistry
- Forensic Odontology
- Ethics, Professionalism, and Practice Management
Future Scope of BDS Courses
- Job opportunities: After completing BDS, one can work as a dentist in government and private hospitals, dental clinics, dental colleges, and research institutes.
- Specializations: One can pursue specializations such as Endodontics, Periodontics, Orthodontics, Pedodontics, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, and Prosthodontics for better job prospects and higher pay.
- Entrepreneurship: One can start their own dental clinic or consultancy and be their own boss.
- Higher studies: One can pursue higher studies such as MDS, Ph.D., or pursue research in the field of dentistry for academic and research-oriented jobs.
- International opportunities: BDS graduates can explore job opportunities in foreign countries and pursue higher studies abroad.
- Job growth: With increasing awareness of dental health and hygiene, there is a growing demand for dental professionals, leading to better job growth and opportunities in the future.
For more details regarding registration and counselling process, you can contact us by APPLY HERE.