Russia is a popular destination for international students seeking to study medicine. The country has a number of well-regarded medical schools that offer MBBS programs, which typically take six years to complete. These programs are taught in English and recognized by medical councils worldwide, including the Medical Council of India.
At a Glance MBBS in Russia for Indian Students
|Degree Name||Doctor of Medicine (MD)|
|Course Duration||6 years|
|Eligibility||10+2 or equivalent with PCB (Physics, Chemistry, Biology) and English as core subjects|
|Entrance Exam||NEET (National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test)|
|Medium of Instruction||English|
|Course Fees||Varies from university to university|
|Top Universities for MBBS||Moscow State University, St. Petersburg State Pediatric Medical University, Kazan State Medical University, etc.|
|Recognition||MCI (Medical Council of India) and WHO (World Health Organization) approved degrees|
|Internship||Compulsory one-year internship in Russia after completing the course|
|Career Opportunities||Clinical practice, research, further specialization, etc.|
|Advantages||Affordable tuition fees, world-class education, exposure to diverse patient demographics, hands-on clinical experience, etc.|
|Disadvantages||Harsh climate, language barrier, cultural differences, etc.|
Note: The information provided is subject to change, and it's important to conduct thorough research before deciding to pursue an MBBS in Russia.
Top institutes for MBBS in Russia
- Perm State Medical University
- Mari State University
- Orenburg State Medical University
- Tver State Medical University
- Siberian State Medical University
- Pavlov First Saint Petersburg State Medical University
- Far Eastern Federal University
- Altai State Medical University
- People’s Friendship University
- Kursk State Medical University
Duration of MBBS in Russia
In Russia, the duration of the MBBS program varies depending on the university and the specific program, but it typically takes 6 years to complete. The first two years of the program focus on the basic sciences such as anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, and microbiology. The next three years cover clinical subjects such as internal medicine, surgery, obstetrics and gynecology, pediatrics, and psychiatry. The final year of the program is devoted to an internship, during which students gain practical experience in various specialties of medicine. After completing the program, graduates are awarded the “Doctor of Medicine” (MD) degree.
Teaching Medium of MBBS in Russia
Here are the main points regarding the teaching medium of MBBS in Russia:
- The primary teaching medium for MBBS programs in Russia is English.
- Many medical universities in Russia offer MBBS programs in English, especially for international students.
- Some medical universities in Russia may also offer MBBS programs in Russian.
- In such cases, students may be required to learn Russian as a prerequisite or study the language alongside their MBBS program.
- It is important for students to research and confirm the language of instruction before applying to a particular university for an MBBS program.
Medical Courses in Russia
|Course Name||Duration||Language of Instruction||Level of Study|
|MBBS (General Medicine)||6 years||English||Bachelor's|
|BDS (Dentistry)||5 years||English/Russian||Bachelor's|
|Medical Biotechnology||5 years||English/Russian||Bachelor's|
|Medical Cybernetics||5 years||English/Russian||Bachelor's|
|Medical Psychology||6 years||Russian||Specialist|
|Medical and Preventive Care||6 years||Russia||Specialist|
|Medical and Diagnostic Imaging||6 years||Russian||Specialist|
|Clinical Residency||2-3 years||Russian||Postgraduate|
|PhD in Medicine||3-4 years||Russian||Doctoral|
Please note that this is not an exhaustive list and there may be other medical courses available in Russia. Additionally, some courses may have different durations depending on the specific university or program.
Eligibility Criteria for MBBS Admission in Russia
The eligibility criteria for MBBS admission in Russia may vary depending on the university to which you are applying. However, the general requirements are as follows:
- Age: Applicants must be at least 17 years old on or before 31st December of the year of admission.
- Education Qualification: Applicants must have completed their 10+2 (or equivalent) education from a recognized board with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as mandatory subjects. They should have scored at least 50% marks in aggregate in these subjects.
- Language proficiency: Applicants must be proficient in the English language or Russian language (depending on the medium of instruction at the university). They may need to submit a valid scorecard of English proficiency tests such as TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE.
- Medical Fitness: Applicants must provide a medical fitness certificate stating that they are physically and mentally fit to pursue MBBS studies.
- Other Requirements: Applicants may need to provide additional documents such as passport, visa, and photographs, depending on the university's requirements.
Note: Some universities may have additional eligibility criteria, such as minimum scores in entrance exams or other academic achievements. It is advisable to check the university's website or contact their admission office for detailed information.
Documents Required for MBBS Admission in Russia
The documents required for MBBS admission in Russia may vary depending on the university you are applying to. However, the following are the general documents that you will need:
- Passport: A valid passport with a minimum validity of 18 months from the date of admission.
- Education Certificates: Copies of mark sheets and passing certificates of 10th and 12th standard (or equivalent) from a recognized board.
- Language Proficiency Test Scores: Copies of the scorecard of English proficiency tests such as TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE, if required. If you are applying for a course taught in the Russian language, you may need to provide proof of proficiency in the Russian language.
- Medical Certificate: A medical certificate stating that you are physically and mentally fit to pursue MBBS studies.
- Photographs: Recent passport-sized photographs (as per university requirements).
- Application form: A duly filled application form with accurate details.
- Visa: A valid visa for the duration of the course.
- Other documents: Other documents as required by the university, such as a letter of recommendation, statement of purpose, or a resume.
Note: Some universities may have specific document requirements, so it is advisable to check the university's website or contact their admission office for detailed information.
The Additional Documents Required
In addition to the general documents required for MBBS admission in Russia, some universities may require additional documents. Some of these additional documents may include:
- Entrance Exam Scores: Some universities may require you to take an entrance exam to qualify for admission. You may need to provide copies of the scorecard or admit card for the entrance exam.
- Identity Proof: You may need to provide a copy of your Aadhaar card, PAN card, or any other government-issued identity proof.
- Financial Documents: You may need to provide financial documents such as a bank statement, income tax return, or affidavit of financial support to prove that you have enough funds to pay for your education in Russia.
- Work Experience Certificates: Some universities may require you to provide work experience certificates if you have any relevant work experience.
- Research Proposal: If you are applying for a research-based program, you may need to provide a research proposal outlining your research topic, methodology, and objectives.
- Certificates of Extracurricular Activities: Some universities may require you to provide certificates of your participation in extracurricular activities such as sports, debates, or cultural events.
Note: It is advisable to check the university's website or contact their admission office for specific document requirements.
Why Study MBBS in Russia?
There are several reasons why one may consider studying MBBS in Russia:
- High-Quality Education: Russia has a long-standing tradition of providing high-quality education in the field of medicine. Many of its medical universities are recognized by the World Health Organization (WHO) and listed in the International Medical Education Directory (IMED).
- Affordable Tuition Fees: The cost of education in Russia is significantly lower compared to other countries such as the USA, Canada, or the UK. The tuition fees for MBBS programs in Russia are comparatively low, making it an affordable option for many students.
- Globally Recognized Degree: The degree awarded by the medical universities in Russia is globally recognized, and graduates can practice medicine in any country after clearing the respective licensing exams.
- English-Medium Programs: Many of the medical universities in Russia offer MBBS programs in the English language. This is beneficial for international students who may not be proficient in the Russian language.
- Modern Infrastructure: Most of the medical universities in Russia have modern infrastructure, well-equipped labs, and updated technologies, which provide students with hands-on experience in the field of medicine.
- Cultural Diversity: Studying in Russia provides a unique opportunity to experience a new culture, interact with people from diverse backgrounds, and gain a global perspective.
- Job Opportunities: After completing MBBS from a recognized medical university in Russia, graduates have several job opportunities globally.
The Admission Process for MBBS in Russia
The admission process for MBBS in Russia may vary depending on the university you are applying to. However, the general admission process is as follows:
- Research and shortlist universities: Research and shortlist the universities that offer MBBS programs in Russia and meet your requirements.
- Check eligibility criteria: Check the eligibility criteria for admission to the university and the program you want to apply to.
- Prepare and submit documents: Gather all the required documents, such as educational certificates, language proficiency scores, and medical certificates, and submit them to the university through their online or offline admission portal.
- Apply for admission: Apply for admission to the university by filling out the application form online or offline. You may need to pay an application fee while submitting the application.
- Entrance Exam: Some universities may require you to take an entrance exam. If required, prepare and appear for the entrance exam.
- Wait for the Admission Decision: After submitting the application, wait for the university's admission decision. The university may take several weeks to process the application and issue an admission decision.
- Pay Tuition Fees: If you receive an admission offer, pay the tuition fees for the MBBS program as per the university's guidelines.
- Apply for a Visa: Apply for a student visa to study in Russia. You may need to provide a copy of your admission letter and other required documents for visa processing.
Note: It is advisable to check the university's website or contact their admission office for specific admission requirements and procedures.
Syllabus for MBBS in Russia.
Here is a table outlining the syllabus for MBBS in Russia:
|1st||Anatomy, Histology, Embryology, Medical Physics, Biochemistry, Medical Informatics, and Physiology.|
|2nd||Microbiology, Pathology, Pharmacology, Pathophysiology, and Medical Genetics.|
|3rd||Community Medicine, General Surgery, E.N.T, Ophthalmology, and Obstetrics & Gynaecology.|
|4th||Forensic Medicine, Paediatrics, Dermatology, Radiology, and Psychiatry.|
|5th||General Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, and Paediatrics.|
|6th||Clinical Rotations (Practical training in various medical departments).|
Note: The syllabus may vary depending on the university and may be subject to change based on academic requirements.
Career Opportunities after MBBS in Russia
After completing MBBS in Russia, graduates have several career opportunities in various fields. Some of the popular career options include:
- Medical Practitioner: Graduates can work as medical practitioners in hospitals, clinics, and private practice. They can diagnose and treat patients, prescribe medications, and perform medical procedures.
- Researcher: Graduates can work as researchers in medical research institutes and universities. They can conduct research on various medical topics, develop new treatment methods, and publish research papers.
- Public Health Specialist: Graduates can work as public health specialists, developing and implementing public health policies, conducting disease surveillance, and working to prevent the spread of infectious diseases.
- Medical Consultant: Graduates can work as medical consultants, advising patients and other medical professionals on the best treatment methods and medical procedures.
- Medical Writer: Graduates can work as medical writers, creating content for medical journals, medical websites, and other medical publications.
- Medical Educator: Graduates can work as medical educators, teaching medical students in universities and medical colleges.
Note: The career opportunities mentioned above are not exhaustive, and graduates may have other career options depending on their interests and expertise.
For more details regarding registration and counselling process, you can contact us by APPLY HERE.